Norton Ginsburg & Chester Roberts
The book was written at the time of independence so as to take a snap shot of what the country, including Singapore, looked like then to these two US academics. The work is interesting because at this time US academic work in the country was limited. The contents include the following chapters
- 1 - The Malayan Peninsula,
- 2 - Past and Present,
- 3 - Demographic Patterns,
- 4 - Patterns of Settlements,
- 5- Systems of Transportation and Telecommunications,
- 6 - Communication in a Plural Society,
- 7 - The Malays in Malaya,
- 8 - The Chinese in Malaya,
- 9 - The Indians in Malaya,
- 10 - The Economic System,
- 11 - Political Organisation and Development,
- 12 - A Recapitualtion.
- There is also an appendix, bibliography and index together with maps and tables throughout the book. 524 pages. Good Hardback
Weight 0.80 Kg. Postage within Malaysia is free
Published by University of Washington Press, Seattle, 1958.
Condition: The cover has rubbing around the edges and the spine has tanned slightly with age. A previous owner's neat name stamp is on a front end paper. The binding is tight, the text clear and there is very mild tanning of the pages.